BEIRUT, Oct 26 – The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said air strikes killed at least 22 people in a village in Syria’s rebel-held Idlib province on Wednesday, seven of them children. The Observatory, a British-based war monitor, said warplanes struck several locations in the Haas village, including an elementary and middle school, killing at
GENEVA, May 11 – States backing Syria’s peace process must stop the warring parties from attacking unlawful targets such as hospitals and other civilian sites, U.N. war crimes investigators said in a statement on Wednesday. Air strikes, shelling and rocket fire had been consistently used in recent attacks on civilian areas, the U.N. Commission of
By John Davison and David Brunnstrom BEIRUT/PARIS, May 10 – Syrian government forces and their allies fought insurgents near Aleppo on Monday and jets conducted raids around a nearby town seized by Islamist rebels, a monitoring group said, as Syria‘s military said a ceasefire in Aleppo would be extended by 48 hours starting on Tuesday.
By Suleiman Al-Khalidi AMMAN, April 4- A prominent leader in Syrian Al Qaeda offshoot Nusra Front was killed on Sunday in what rebel sources said appeared to be a U.S. drone strike in the rebel-held northwestern province of Idlib. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which tracks violence in the country, confirmed reports on websites
By Stephanie Nebehay GENEVA, Feb 18 – The Medecins Sans Frontieres medical charity called on Thursday for an independent investigation into air strikes that killed 25 people at an MSF-backed hospital in north Syria early this week. MSF, also known as Doctors Without Borders, said the attack was probably carried out by Syrian and Russian
BEIRUT, Jan 11 – Aid convoys headed for a besieged Syrian town where thousands are trapped and the United Nations says people are reported to have died of starvation. Trucks headed for Madaya, near the Lebanese border, and two villages in the northwest of the country on Monday, the Red Cross said, as part of
BEIRUT, Dec 10 (Reuters) – Buses carrying Syrian rebel fighters and their families safely reached the northwestern city of Idlib overnight after withdrawing from Homs under a local ceasefire agreement, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on Thursday. The United Nations presided over the deal, which the mayor of Homs said involved 300 fighters