TUNIS, Nov 30 – Tunisian security forces have arrested two Islamist militants accused in last week’s bombing in Tunis and seized a cache of weapons and explosives they were planning to use for more attacks, the interior ministry said.
In a late Sunday raid in Medenine in the south of the country, officials found Kalashnikov rifles, a suicide bomb belt, explosive materials for making car bombs, grenades and detonators, the statement said.
Tunisia is under a state of emergency since Tuesday when a suicide bomber killed 12 people aboard a bus carrying presidential guards in the capital Tunis.
Daesh has claimed the bombing, the third major militant attack in Tunisia this year following assaults on a beach resort at Sousse and the Bardo museum in the capital, both of which targeted foreign visitors.
A Tunisian security source said the two men arrested on Sunday night were brothers.
Tuesday’s attacker was a street seller who lived near Ettadhamen, one of the poorer neighborhoods of Tunis.