BEIRUT, Feb 21 -The death toll from two bomb blasts in the Syrian city of Homs on Sunday reached 46 including at least 28 civilians, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said, with state media confirming the deadly attacks.
At least 100 others were wounded by the explosions in the city centre’s Zahra district, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
State television initially put the death toll at 14 people with 29 wounded. Pro-Damascus channel al-Ikhbariya showed footage of damaged shop fronts, debris littering the streets, wounded people and charred or burning cars.
A bomb attack claimed by Daesh last month in Homs in the west of the country killed at least 24 people, the city’s governor said at the time, as government forces took back some Daesh-held villages in Aleppo province in the north.
Sunday’s attacks also came a day after government advances against Daesh. There was no immediate claim from the group, however.
Another bomb attack in December which killed 32 people took place following a ceasefire deal that paved the way for the government to take over the last rebel-controlled area of the city, which was a centre of the 2011 uprising against President Bashar al-Assad.